To cut the amount of time needed, make the pesto ahead of time. The flavor and heat can be adjusted by adding more chipotle and garlic to the pesto sauce. Make extra, as this is a hit once people taste the mixing of flavors!
- 1 Lb fresh asparagus
- 1 Qt water
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1/4 Lb Sun-dried tomatoes (not marinated)
- 1 Chipotle pepper
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 – 1 Cup Olive oil
- Cut woody ends from asparagus. Bring water to a boil with salt.
- When water is boiling, take some to cover tomatoes and Chipotle pepper in an inch of boiling water; set aside and let soak until soft, about 10 – 20 minutes.
- While tomatoes and pepper soak, add asparagus to pot and boil for 2 minutes to blanch.
- Drain and plunge into cold water to stop cooking, then drain.
- Drain tomatoes and pepper, put into food processor with 1/2 cup olive oil and garlic. Puree until well minced. Blend in additional oil to achieve desired consistency.
- Arrange asparagus spears on plate; pour pesto over top. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe Tip! If using pliable sun-dried tomatoes and Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, only soak in boiling water for 2 – 5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings